Pages

Friday, September 10, 2021

Stories from Work-3

 I joined Public Relations (PR) Department of Rourkela Steel Plant (RSP) of Steel Authority of India Limited (SAIL) in 1997. Editing Monthly inhouse journal of RSP viz. 'Ispat Sahayog' was one of my key responsibilities. As anyone who has done this, would know that there are last minute additions and changes in every issue.

But at one time, we had a real last minute crisis. Actually a VIP visit was to happen and our Managing Director wanted that the next issue of magazine must be brought out to coincide with that visit. That meant squeezing the timelines to half. First proof and second proof were expedited. But time was running short. So to give go ahead to the ready-for-print edition, I had to go to the office of our Advertising Agency in Kolkata.

Last minute changes were incorporated. We got an important news item just before going to print. Four new promotions to the post of Executive Directors were made and were to be included in the magazine. We rearranged the matter and inserted the news item with four photographs. I noticed at the very last minute that the names given with the photos were mismatched. I thanked God and made the corrections and confirmed to the agency and gave go ahead.

The magazine went to the press for printing and I came back to Rourkela. After 2 days, the printed copies were delivered and I was relieved. But it was short-lived. On quick glance, I found that the corrections I had made in the news of EDs were not included. So names given with photos of EDs were wrongly mismatched.

I overheard other colleagues making fun of me that I could not do this small job properly. I went to our Head of Department who was very angry. He called up the agency in Kolkata and I was sure that the agency would shrug off its responsibility. To complicate the matters, I had not taken care to get a printed proof of the version I had given go ahead for printing to. I was mentally preparing myself for a bitter lesson in life. The agency guy apologized to the boss and reverted in 10 minutes after checking at his end. And to my great surprize, he conceded that I had made the corrections and by mistake a version saved previously had gone to print.

That day around 20 years back to now I still fondly remember the name of that agency M/s. Select Advertising. Thanks for your honesty.

No comments:

Post a Comment